A Few Favorite Travel Items
Since we’re in the summer travel season I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite travel items. I do this not because I’m a confident, easygoing traveler but because I’m the opposite…a somewhat anxious traveler who misses the comforts of home. Still, I like seeing new places and re-visiting old favorites so I take several trips a year.
Here are three favorite travel items of mine.
Recently I realized my time on planes would be much more pleasant if I had a true carry-on bag. Not the rolling kind that goes in the overhead bin, but the kind that goes under the seat in front of you.
In the past, I’ve just used my purse but my purse doesn’t do a great job of holding all my regular purse stuff plus the things I take with me on planes. Here are the extras I usually take for a trip:
- Noise-cancelling headphones
- My Kindle
- An extra charger
- Snacks (trail mix and protein bars)
- A bottle of water (I always buy one of these when I’m through security)
I did a lot of online searching and ended up buying this bag from Amazon.
Here’s why I chose it:
- Size. It holds all my purse items plus my travel extras with room to spare, but it is (just) small enough that I can stand it up under the seat in front of me which still left room for my feet.
- Style. I thought the quilted exterior was more stylish than most travel bags and I liked the lighter animal print interior. (I’ve started to look for light interiors in my purses too because I’ve noticed that it’s easier to find things that way.)
- A luggage sleeve so it fits over the handle of a suitcase when going through airports.
- Inside pockets to organize things.
- 2 large outside pockets. (A water bottle fits in one of the outside pockets which was important me.)
- A padded laptop sleeve.
- An adjustable shoulder strap so I can carry it cross-body if I need to.
A matching wristlet was also included. I didn’t think I’d use it, but it ended up being perfect to hold all my chargers (phone, Kindle, laptop).
Now that I have it I can say that this bag works so much better than a purse for flying. I pack my empty purse in my suitcase and switch out when I get to our hotel or wherever we’re staying.
Hanging Toiletry Bag
I’ve used a hanging toiletry bag for years and it’s been a game-changer because it lets me see everything at a glance and saves on counter space in the hotel bathrooms.
I have this one.
It’s great for toiletries, obviously, and I also use one of the small pockets at the top for jewelry.
I also think this polka dot one is cute.
Tom bought me this mobile charger for Christmas and it was the gift I didn’t know I needed. I used it every day in New York. No more nervously watching my phone battery level. How did I travel without one of these before?
Do you have any travel favorites? I’d love to hear.
OMG, Julie THANK YOU!! I’ve been looking and looking for a travel carry on (personal item) bag that will have room. I will definitely be looking into this one. 🙂
I wanted to touch base with you and tell you that I bought that travel bag and had a recent trip where I could use it. I love love love it! However, there was no wristlet included with mine. But this is a spot on thing to have for a trip. Thank you