Hi friends, and happy March! Do you consider it spring now? Even though the first official day is a few weeks away, I feel like when we flip the calendar to March that spring is here.
Occasionally I like to take a moment here to just catch up. Here’s a bit of what’s been going on with us lately.
Note: Creating This Life posts sometimes contain affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
- We’re getting ready to have hardwood floors installed in most of our upstairs and, you guys, this is so overdue. This house was built in 1992 and I think the carpets up there are original. In any event, they’ve been here since we moved in in 2001 and have lived through two kids, two dogs, and two granddogs (and me! I spill a lot!) so I think you get the idea. It was quality carpet, but still. They’re supposed to start on the hardwoods next week and will be here for about a month doing our bedroom, my office, the hallway, and the stairs. We opted not to do the kids’ old bedrooms (now a guest room and Tom’s office) and will be recarpeting instead, mainly because we need a place for all this stuff to go for now. If you’ve had it done, you know that having hardwoods installed is basically like moving out.
- Tom is painting my office in Sherwin Williams’ Urbane Bronze before the hardwoods go in. This is the third room I’ve painted this color, including our bedroom and dining room. SW describes it as a brownish gray but to me it reads as a dark charcoal (almost black). Either way, I love how warm and dramatic it makes a room feel, while still being a neutral. I like pairing it with warm woods and touches of brass to keep it feeling warm.
- Most of what has kept me busy lately are finances and taxes. I’m the numbers nerd in the family so that is my area. I’ve also made it a goal to go paperless this year so I’ve been scanning up a storm. My mom and sister gave me this scanner for my birthday last fall and I love it. I may have even taken a video of how quickly it scans to send to them. Recently Tom mentioned to me that he’s noticed how happy I always am at this time of year because I get to do all the nerdy things. Crazy, but true.
- I’m a member of two book clubs and I’m hosting both of them this spring. For my big, long-standing book club I chose The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill and for the other group, I chose Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. I actually had another book picked out for the second book club but I keep hearing so many good things about Lessons in Chemistry that I emailed the girls and told them I was making a switch.
- Another book I keep hearing about is Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. Reading the synopsis, it isn’t something I’d normally be interested in but I’ve read two other books by her that I really liked (Young Jane Young and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry) and I’ve seen so many people put Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow on their “best-of” lists that I may give it a try.
What’s going on in your life lately? I’d love to hear.
P.S. Hello spring and our home in pictures.